Tuesday, 19 May 2026 , 02:34 PM
Two teenage gunmen opened fire at the Islamic Center of San Diego on Monday (Local Time), killing three men before taking their own lives, in what law enforcement authorities are currently investigating as a possible hate crime.
According to police, the attackers—aged 17 and 18—specifically targeted the mosque.
While authorities stated there had been no specific prior threat directed against the Islamic Center, preliminary evidence suggests the suspects were heavily influenced by “generalized hate rhetoric.”
San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl noted that more details regarding the motive would emerge as the investigation progresses.
Prior to the shooting, police had already been searching for one of the teenagers after his mother reported him missing and expressed urgent concerns that he was suicidal.
Authorities revealed that weapons were missing from the home and the teenager had taken his mother’s vehicle.
The search intensified significantly once police learned the teen was armed, dressed in camouflage, and accompanied by another individual.
Officers were actively tracking the suspects using available technology when the initial reports of gunfire at the mosque came in. Police arrived at the scene within minutes, Wahl said.
Among the three victims killed was a mosque security guard, whom police credited with preventing the attack from becoming far more devastating.
“It’s fair to say his actions were heroic. Undoubtedly he saved lives,” Wahl told reporters.
Shortly after the shooting at the mosque, additional gunshots were reported a few blocks away. Police subsequently located the two suspects dead inside a vehicle on a nearby road, in what appeared to be a suicide.
The Islamic Center of San Diego, which is the largest mosque in the county, also houses the Al Rashid School, an institution providing Islamic and Arabic education for children.
Witness footage from the scene showed children being safely escorted out of the premises as police officers secured the area.
Imam Taha Hassane strongly condemned the attack, calling it “extremely outrageous to target a place of worship.” He added, “All the places of worship in our beautiful city should always be protected.”
The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), one of the largest Muslim civil rights and advocacy groups in the United States, also issued a strong condemnation of the shooting.
“No one should ever fear for their safety while attending prayers or studying at an elementary school,” said CAIR-San Diego Executive Director Tazheen Nizam in an official statement.
“We are working to learn more about this incident and we encourage everyone to keep this community in your prayers.”
Authorities emphasized that the investigation remains active and ongoing, with law enforcement continuing their efforts to determine the full motive behind the deadly attack.
Source: AP