42 US Military Aircraft Damaged or Lost in Iran Conflict as Costs Hit USD 29b

International Desk, Rtv News

Thursday, 21 May 2026 , 05:08 PM


42 US Military Aircraft Damaged or Lost in Iran Conflict as Costs Hit USD 29b
Collected Photo

At least 42 United States military aircraft, including fighter jets and drones, have been lost or damaged during the war in Iran, according to an official report. 

The losses may increase due to multiple factors, including classification, ongoing combat activity, and attribution, said the report compiled by the Congressional Research Service (CRS).

The CRS, which provides policy and legal analysis to the US Congress and committees, compiled the total losses by perusing news reports and official statements issued by the Department of Defence and the US Central Command (CENTCOM). 

The US Department of Defence has not published a comprehensive assessment of its combat losses so far.

Recently, the Pentagon declared that the cost of military operations against Iran under Operation Epic Fury has already climbed to nearly USD 29 billion. 

"A lot of that increase comes from having a refined estimate on repair or replacement costs for equipment," said Pentagon finance chief Jules Hurst III during a May 12 hearing.

Read More

According to the report, the breakdown of aircraft lost or damaged includes:

  • 24 MQ-9 Reaper medium-altitude long-endurance uncrewed aircraft
  • 7 KC-135 Stratotanker aerial refuelling aircraft
  • 4 F-15E Strike Eagle fighter jets
  • 2 MC-130J Commando II special operations aircraft
  • 1 F-35A Lightning II fighter aircraft
  • 1 A-10 Thunderbolt II ground-attack aircraft
  • 1 E-3 Sentry airborne early warning-and-control system aircraft (AWACS)
  • 1 HH-60W Jolly Green II combat search-and-rescue helicopter
  • 1 MQ-4C Triton high-altitude long-endurance uncrewed aircraft

The war in Iran began on February 28, when the United States and Israel launched coordinated military strikes on Iranian targets, killing several prominent figures, including Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei.

Reacting to the disclosures, Iran's Foreign Minister, Seyed Abbas Araghchi, posted the CRS report on the social media platform X, stating that the US acknowledged Iran had gained vital knowledge from two months of combat action before the ceasefire in April. 

He warned that Tehran will use its learning and will deliver "many more surprises" against the US forces if US President Donald Trump resumes military action against the Islamic Republic.

“Months after initiation of war on Iran, US Congress acknowledges loss of dozens of aircraft worth billions. Our powerful Armed Forces are confirmed as 1st to strike down a touted F-35. With lessons learned and knowledge we gained, return to war will feature many more surprises,” Araghchi said.

Source: NDTV

আরটিভি খবর পেতে গুগল নিউজ চ্যানেল ফলো করুন

logo_appslogo_apps

Loading...

© All Rights Reserved 2016-2026 | RTV Online | It is illegal to use contents, pictures, and videos of this website without authority's permission